These Honey Buffalo Wings are crispy, juicy, and the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. I bake the wings until they’re golden brown and crispy in the oven. Then, I toss them in a spicy Honey Buffalo Sauce. Enjoy this chicken wing appetizer at your next game day party with dips or as a main dish.
Why Make Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Crispy wings without deep frying: crispy baked chicken wings offer the crunch of fried chicken without deep frying. But, you can use the sauce with any fried chicken recipe (I link to some options below).
- Buffalo Wings alternative: If you enjoy buffalo wings but want to switch things up a bit, then this crowd pleaser is a unique alternative.
- Delicious & easy recipe: these hot honey chicken wings are one of my favorite recipes. Not only do they include simple ingredients, but they taste great.
Making honey hot wings in really easy.
You can find the ingredients below, but don’t forget to get the ingredient amounts and full instructions from the recipe card at the end of the post.
Honey Buffalo Sauce
- Butter: I melted this in the microwave when I was ready to make the sauce and didn’t worry about cooling it. A little butter is necessary to help the sauce come together.
- Hot Sauce: You can use this homemade buffalo wing sauce or use any hot sauce that you prefer like Frank’s Redhot.
- Honey: any honey or honey substitute will work
- Old Bay Seasoning: I like to amp up the flavor of the sauce with this. It’s optional. You can also substitute my bbq chicken rub for more sweet heat flavors!
Baked Fried Chicken
- Chicken Wings: I used about 10 whole chicken wings that I cut into parts. You can cut chicken wings into the flat, drum and wing tip easily or buy party wings from the grocery store.
- Baking Powder: this helps the wings get crispy without deep frying. So, do not omit it.
- Old Bay: I use this as an all-purpose seasoning. Even though it’s most common for seafood, it works for chicken because it includes spices that we use regularly on chicken like black pepper, cayenne pepper, white pepper and more.
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Parsley
How to Make Honey Buffalo Wings
- Pat the chicken wings dry and add them to a large bowl. Mix the spices, pour the spice blend on the chicken and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings in a single layer on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a wire rack. Cook the wings in the oven for 20-25 minutes per side.
- Add all ingredients for the sauce to a small bowl. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add the wings to a bowl with some of the sauce and toss to coat.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Use parchment paper or aluminum foil on your baking sheet for easy cleanup
- Adjust the bake time for added crispiness: the longer you cook your wings in the oven, the crispier they will become. For saucy wings, I tend to keep my chicken in for closer to 25 minutes per side so that they can still be slightly crisp after I add the sauce.
- Use all of the spice mix: the spice mix contains flavor, but also helps the wings get crispy skin. Be sure to coat all parts of the wings evenly with the spices
- Turn up the heat: you can make these spicier by adding a dash of cayenne pepper or smoked ghost pepper flakes to this homemade sauce.
Other Fried Chicken Cooking Methods
You can use the honey hot sauce with any fried chicken recipe that you prefer. Some other ways to make fried chicken are:
Storage and Leftovers
You can store leftover honey buffalo chicken wings in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Homemade Sauces & Dips
Serve this chicken wing recipe up with some of these options on the side:
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- Best Side Dishes for Fried Chicken
- Wet Lemon Pepper Wings
- Sweet Chili Wings
- Ninja Foodi Chicken Wings
Honey Buffalo Wings
Baked Fried Chicken Wings
- 1.5 lb Chicken Wings about 20 wing parts or 10 whole wings
- 1.5 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Dried Parsley
Honey Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tbsp Hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Butter melted and hot, I use unsalted
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning optional
For the wings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the old bay, garlic powder, dried parsley and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a wire rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side. The goal is for these to be crispy so that they still are crisp even with sauce on top.
For the Honey Buffalo sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl.
- Whisk to incorporate.
Finish the dish
- Add the wings to a bowl.
- Pour some of the sauce on top and toss the wings to coat.